Saturday, January 28, 2017

OUR YARD
Joseph Pullman Porter 1893-1980

You ought'er come over to our yard.
Oh boy! But we have fun!
We've got a dandy place to play
An' when our work is done
An' after school, us kids goes out
An' I hangs by my knees
Up in the sour apple tree
Where dad fixed our trapeze.

Up in the tallest branches
Of the sugar maple tree,
We're building us a tree-hut,
With rope ladders, hangin' free,
So we kin pull 'em up inside
When we bomb the enemy
With the poor, old wormy apples
That we swipe from off the tree.

My brother has a basket-ball.
He got it Chris'mas day.
We're gettin' up a really team
An' learnin' how to play.
My dad will be our trainer.
Gee whiz! But he can go.
He once played with the High School.
I'll say he isn't slow!

I don't care much for Sister's games,
Or the things she likes to play,
'Cept when she puts away her dolls
An' comes and play croquet.
An' then we knock the balls about
A-scootin' crost the lawn.
Til sudden like I'm skeert for fear 
I've busted flowers down.

But mother hardly cares a bit,
An' says that boys is boys
An' calls back-yards, child-gardens,
An says her joy of joys
Is to see her babies growin' up
Like weeds in summer time.
Believe me, boys are lucky kids
Who have backyards like mine!

POETRY TO PLEASE IS UPDATED EVERY DAY

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment