Sunday, January 29, 2017

I LOOK AT THE WORLD
Langston Hughes 1902-67

I look at the world 
From awakening eyes in a black face -
And this is what I see: 
This fenced-off narrow space   
Assigned to me. 

I look then at the silly walls 
Through dark eyes in a dark face - 
And this is what I know: 
That all these walls oppression builds 
Will have to go! 

I look at my own body   
With eyes no longer blind - 
And I see that my own hands can make 
The world that's in my mind. 
Then let us hurry, comrades, 
The road to find.

From the New York Herald Tribune in 1926: "Langston Hughes, although only twenty-four years old, is already conspicuous in the group of Negro intellectuals who are dignifying Harlem with a genuine art life.
POETRY TO PLEASE IS UPDATED EVERY DAY

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment