Tuesday, July 4, 2017

THE QUEEN'S MARYS
Anon

Yestreen the Queen had four Marys
The nicht she’ll hae but three,
There was Mary Seaton and Mary Beaton
And Mary Carmichael and me.

Oh, often have I dressed my Queen
And put on her braw silk gown
But all the thanks I've got tonight
Is to be hanged in Edinburgh Town

How often have I dressed my queen
And put gold on her hair
But I have got for my reward
The gallows to be my share.

Oh little did my mither ken
The day she cradled me
The land I was to travel in
The death I was to dee.

Oh, happy, happy is the maid
That's born of beauty free
It was my rosy dimpled cheeks
That's been the death o’ me.

Many people thought that the four Marys were ladies in waiting to Mary Queen of Scots, while others believed that they were at the court of Queen Elizabeth I, and that the fourth Mary was Mary Queen of Scots herself.  It’s known that, while Mary Queen of Scots was in France, she was accompanied by Mary Seaton, Mary Beaton, Mary Livingstone and Mary Fleming. Mary Hamilton has also been linked to the story. The general opinion now seems to be that the song has no historical basis.

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment