Thursday, May 18, 2017

I AM THE ONLY BEING
Emily Jane Bronte 1818-48

I am the only being whose doom
    No tongue would ask no eye would mourn
    I never caused a thought of gloom
    A smile of joy since I was born

    In secret pleasure, secret tears
    This changeful life has slipped away
    As friendless after eighteen years
    As lone as on my natal day

    There have been times I cannot hide
    There have been times when this was drear
    When my sad soul forgot its pride
    And longed for one to love me here

    But those were in the early glow
    Of feelings since subdued by care
    And they have died so long ago
    I hardly now believe they were

    First melted off the hope of youth
    Then Fancy's rainbow fast withdrew
    And then experience told me truth
    In mortal bosoms never grew

    'Twas grief enough to think mankind
    All hollow servile insincere,
    But worse to trust to my own mind
    And find the same corruption there

A PERSONAL SCRAPBLOG WILL BE UPDATED ON SATURDAY

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment