Sunday, March 19, 2017

 IF YOU'LL PARDON MY SAYING SO
Warren Hastings and Herberte Jordan

A lady to see you, Mr. Archibald, sir.
The matter appears to be pressing.
Luncheon was served quite an hour ago,
I did not awaken you, sir, as you know.
There are times, sir, when sleep is a blessing.
I have here some ice, sir, to place on your head,
And also a whisky and "polly".
I don't know what time you retired to bed,
But the party sir, must have been jolly,
If you'll pardon my saying so.

The lady in question a-waiting below,
Is accompanied, sir, by her mother,
And also a prize-fighting gentleman, sir,
A pugnacious character one might infer,
Whom the lady describes as her brother.
The elderly female is quite commonplace,
A most vulgar person, I fear, sir,
Who shouts in a nerve wracking falsetto voice,
And her language is painful to hear, sir,
If you'll pardon my saying so.

-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment