Wednesday, February 15, 2017

CALM WAS THE EVEN AND CLEAR WAS THE SKY
(from An Evening's Love)
John Dryden 1631-1700

Calm was the even, and clear was the sky, 
      And the new budding flowers did spring, 
When all alone went Amyntas and I 
      To hear the sweet nightingale sing; 
I sate, and he laid him down by me; 
      But scarcely his breath he could draw; 
For when with a fear, he began to draw near, 
      He was dash'd with A ha ha ha ha! 

He blush'd to himself, and lay still for a while, 
      And his modesty curb'd his desire; 
But straight I convinc'd all his fear with a smile, 
      Which added new flames to his fire. 
O Silvia, said he, you are cruel, 
      To keep your poor lover in awe; 
Then once more he press'd with his hand to my breast, 
      But was dash'd with A ha ha ha ha! 

I knew 'twas his passion that caus'd all his fear; 
      And therefore I pitied his case: 
I whisper'd him softly, there's nobody near, 
      And laid my cheek close to his face: 
But as he grew bolder and bolder, 
      A shepherd came by us and saw; 
And just as our bliss we began with a kiss, 
      He laugh'd out with A ha ha ha ha!

-o0o-

A PERSONAL SCRAPBLOG
is now online
http://apersonalscrapblog.blogspot.com

-o=0=o-

No comments:

Post a Comment