Monday, February 13, 2017

A BIRTHDAY
Christina Georgina Rossetti  1830-94

My heart is like a singing bird
        Whose nest is in a water'd shoot;
    My heart is like an apple-tree
        Whose boughs are bent with thickset fruit;
    My heart is like a rainbow shell
        That paddles in a halcyon sea;
    My heart is gladder than all these
        Because my love is come to me.

    Raise me a dais of silk and down;
      Hang it with vair* and purple dyes;
  Carve it in doves and pomegranates,
      And peacocks with a hundred eyes;
  Work it in gold and silver grapes,
      In leaves and silver fleurs-de-lys;
  Because the birthday of my life
      Is come, my love is come to me.

 *vair = fur obtained from a variety of red squirrel, used in the 13th and 14th centuries as a trimming or lining for garments.
-o0o-

No comments:

Post a Comment